We are working with Barnet, Enfield and Haringey Mental Health NHS Trust as the North London Mental Health Partnership.

Urgent help

What is a mental health crisis?

The word “crisis” can be used to describe many different situations. In mental health, the term “crisis” usually suggests that someone may need urgent help to support them with mental health problems. 

Getting help in a mental health crisis

If you are already cared for by mental health services provided by Camden and Islington NHS Foundation Trust

  • During working hours you should contact the team that coordinates your mental health care on a long term basis. You can locate your service using the service finder.
  • If you need urgent mental health support outside of that team’s working hours then you should contact the Crisis Single Point of access on Freephone 0800 917 3333. This number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
If you are not under the care of mental health services
  • First contact your GP and ask for an urgent appointment. This will allow you to discuss your experiences and situation with someone who can help you to identify what might be happening to you and organise further help for you if you need it.
  • If you do not feel that you can wait to see your GP then please contact the C&I Crisis Single Point of Access on Freephone 0800 917 3333. This number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Other forms of help

General health enquiries

For general health enquiries dial 111. 
Residents can, if they wish, still contact their GP or local pharmacist for care advice. The NHS 111 service does not replace the emergency 999 service.

Advanced Directives

An advance directive (also known as an advance statement, advance refusal or living will) is a way of making a person's views known if he or she should become mentally ill and incapable of giving consent to treatment. They can also state what treatment or support works for you when unwell and who should be contacted e.g. your carer. This kind of preparation can help you, your carer and the care co-ordinator, through what may be a difficult time.
Further details on Advance Directives can be found on the NHS website.

Carers Advanced Plans

It is becoming more usual for carers to have advanced plans regarding what support should be provided for the person they support if they are unable to continue to provide care - ie unexpectedly admitted to hospital.
These advanced plans can help the carer prepare for, and ensure that the person they support is not left to deal with any unexpected events on their own. Involving other family members, or your GP, can also be helpful. These can be written down with the support of the care co-ordinator. It is important to discuss these plans with the person you care for or support.
Carers UK provides information for carers on crisis planning.

Concerns that a child, young person or is at risk of abuse or neglect?

Immediate risk should be reported without delay to the police service as a 999 emergency.

Leave feedback

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.